Marriott Rewards has become the latest program to announce the introduction of a Members only rate. The new rates, entitled Marriott Rewards Member Rates, are effective as of 11 April, 2016 and are designed to push further traffic toward Marriott booking channels.
These new member rates will offer a minimum discount ofÂ two percent on weekdays and a discount of up to five percent on weekends.
The details of the rate, as outlined by Marriott are:
- These rates offer a discount of at least two percent on weekdays and up to five percent on weekends
- The rate is applied to the hotel’s lowest applicable available public rates for non-premium rooms
- The rates must be booked by the Rewards member using the appropriate member rate category
- Rates are available across all hotels and brands in the Marriott
portfolio globally, excluding Bulgari Hotels & Resorts and The
Ritz-Carlton Reserve, except during special events
- The member rate may not be combined with other select promotions,
offers or discounts, and is not valid for existing reservations or
While Marriott pushes to rates as a way of rewarding members, they seem designed to entice you to prefer the Marriott booking channels over third party channels. In particular, the size of the discount suggests that Marriott are taking aim at reducing the number of Best Rate Guarantee claims that are being made. Having said that, one should not assume that these will be the cheapest rates around, and one should still look around various booking channels for the best rates.